Our newest addition to the TTs Pepper Jellies line of delicious products is called Kooyon Kandy, also known as candied jalapenos. These thinly sliced fresh jalapeno peppers are a sweet, spicy, crunchy condiment that can be enjoyed by themselves or in a variety of dishes. They are a delicious and healthy snack that are low in calories and a good source of vitamins A&C! Add them to your salads, nachos, charcuterie boards, burgers, etc.; the possibilities are limitless! One of our favorite ways to enjoy our Kooyon Kandy is in Mac & Cheese; see the recipe below:
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni pasta
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup Kooyon Kandy
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, or until the mixture is smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese until melted. Add Kooyon Kandy to cheese sauce.
- Cook the macaroni pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and add it to the cheese sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mac and cheese into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with extra candied jalapenos if desired.
- Bake the mac and cheese in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.Let the mac and cheese cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!